Sunday, October 21, 2012

Uncle Jerry


Aw, Jerry. Jerry was a lot of things to a lot of people...he was a husband, a father, a friend, a grandfather, and an uncle...just to name a few. And although, we all knew different sides of Jerry depending on the role he played in our lives, I'm pretty sure there are a few things we can all agree upon...(1) we were lucky to have known and loved him (2) he was quite the character...from his smirky smile to his pigeon toes. : )

There are a couple of memories I have with Jerry that will always make me smile...I remember going to a football game with him once. Well, wait let me rephrase that...it wasn't just any football game...it was the OU/Nebraska game. I was in college...young and in decent shape...but, I remember having to literally sprint to keep up with him. He was like a kid in a candy store and missing even a second of the game was not an option. At first, my out of breath self thought...what's the hurry?? I mean, he was carrying a radio that was tuned into the exact same game we were there to see...but, then I caught my breath and thought...man, Uncle Jerry is the real deal and he has got this football fan thing down! Another favorite memory of mine will forever be Jerry at Christmas. I remember watching Jerry open his presents (and by presents, I mean a humongous mound of presents)! He would open each and every one with the same enthusiasm...oohing and aahing, lying maroon golf shirt after maroon golf shirt on his belly "oh yeah, this is sharp, oh yeah." As Becky would say, he was just so cute. : )

But it wasn't just smiles that Jerry gave me, he taught me plenty of things too...he taught me that you truly can battle addiction and become that elusive success story, he taught me that an Oklahoman can love someone enough that he'll become a Texan, and he taught me that you really can talk about PVC pipe for over an hour. My brother and I were talking several years ago and being the annoying social worky sister that I am, I was asking him a bunch of questions. I remember asking him "soooo who is your favorite family member?" I fully expected him to say my mom...I mean, she did give birth to him after all...or I thought maybe my eldest son...he was his first nephew after all...but, nope he thought for only a second before answering with an emphatic...Jerry. Aw, Jerry. Yes, of course. : )

We will miss you Jerry...from your smirky smile to your pigeon toes.

No comments: