Monday, June 22, 2009

Hands Down the Best DADS Around!

Father's Day brings about a mix of emotions for our family. On the one hand we have so much to celebrate, but on the other it shines a glaring light on the loss of Jason's father. Jason and I are both extremely lucky to have fathers who really loved being dads. They were emotionally available to us, respectful to our mothers, and wonderful role models. One of the many things I love about seeing my dad as a grandfather is that it has become even more clear to me what a loving father he was and continues to be to me. He always pushed me to be my best, but in the most caring of ways. I take great pride in knowing that I make him proud and I absolutely love how our two little guys just love being with their grandad. I can only imagine how much I would miss sharing the boys with him and I know that Jason struggles with this daily. We talk often about how much his dad would have loved being with Jack and Hayes. We laugh about how much fun he would have had aggravating Jackie B and how he would have just loved to love on sweet Hayesebear. I know Jason would give anything to share our boys with him for even just a minute. I cannot imagine how hard it must be for him to not only have lost his father, but also his best friend in so many ways. I tell Jason all the time and I hope he believes me when I say how proud his dad would be of him and the man he has become. He is exactly the kind of father I envisioned for my children. He loves being a dad and that shows in all that he does every single day. The boys are so very blessed to have a father who loves them with all of his might. Jason recently told me that one night when he was reading Jack stories that Jack said out of the blue "Dad, you're my best friend" And even though the offhand comment was made by a very silly (and fickel) two year old little boy, somehow in my heart I doubt a truer statement has ever been spoken.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genuinely sweet! You need a kleenex warning with that one!

The Dunsmores said...

Well...nothing like a little poetry by a great friend about her amazing husband to bring a pregnant girl to tears. Thanks...I am weeping now. Hopefully this doesn't throw me into labor. Come to think about it -- I hope it does. Nice work little lady.

Robin Soulant said...

That was very sweet, Ashlee..touching.