Saturday, March 7, 2009

Good Guys Finish Last!

With the newborn days and sleepless nights behind us, Jason and I decided that we were definitely due for a little marital reconnecting. For some reason instead of opting for the nice dinner out and the newest romantic comedy, we decided to do our first adventure race together! We didn't know much of what to expect, except that we would be running between 4 to 6 miles and biking around 10 to 12 miles. So armed with this information, we sent the little Fisher boys off to Gigi and Grandad's and we made the trek up to the Sam Houston National Forest in Huntsville.
Things started off a little shaky for Team Fisher...we set up our gear in the wrong spot, Jason spent most of our strategy talk time relieving himself in the woods, and then I somehow didn't realize that the word "GO" actually meant begin the race. But even though we started quite a bit behind the pack, we were able to make up a little time on the run and we both have watched enough of The Amazing Race to know that all we needed is another team to make a mistake and we'd be right back in it. However we've also watched enough of the show to know that sometimes a team just has one of those days. : ) So let me just share a few high points of "one of those days" for us...
Well within about five minutes of being on the bike, I ended up plowing my handlebar right into a fellow competitors abdomen (Jason uses the word gourd when telling this part of the story). After that little incident, things did seem to get a tad better but looking back I think it was only because we didn't see any other signs of life for a long, long time. It might have even been kind of romantic, if it weren't for the enormous amount of sand, hills, and fallen trees that we were biking through, over, and around. When we finally emerged from the depths of the forest floor, we were told it was time for the hike and bike portion of the race so back into the forest we grudgingly went. I was a little delirious and had pretty much lost control of my limbs at this point so we thankfully decided that Jason should bike while I "jogged". After a bit too much of hiking and biking, I must have been moving at such a clip that I tripped over a log and fell hard straight onto my face (Jason says ate timber when telling this part of the story). Now after this little incident, I was definitely ready to be done with this big adventure.
Although I began to think that we would miss the boys' high school graduations, we finally crossed the finish line. It took us 3 hours and 45 minutes and yep, you guessed it...we finished dead last. We decided to skip the awards ceremony (haha) and head straight to the nearest Mexican restaurant. Not quite sure if it was the enchilada or all the timber, but I think I actually ended up gaining weight after it was all said and done. Even though it was definitely a humbling experience to finish last, we had such a great time and definitely came away maritally bonded! And although I've had enough of nature for the time being, I'm sure this is just one of many big adventures for Team Fisher!






5 comments:

Vanson's Mom said...

You two are unbelieveable! Way to go. I don't think Leo and I would've been able to even cross the finish line. Great job and as always...hilarious!

francesca said...

You guys kill me!

Anonymous said...

Glad it was a good experience! Be assured that if we would have been there, there's no way you would have come in last!

The Dunsmores said...

I bet you two were the best looking couple there...and that is all that counts. Yee haw!

Mary Atherton said...

You guys are awesome! If the Athertons were there, we would have definitely beat y'all...for last place!