Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bumps and Bruises...

Jack, Hayes, and I went to a playdate at the park this afternoon. I have to admit I was feeling a bit frazzled while I packed up and tried to get out the door, but it was a perfect afternoon for the park so I decided to persevere and make it work. Of course, I was so glad we came once I saw how much fun Jack was having jumping around with Charlee and cracking up with Chase on the swings. I even began to relax a little as my sweet friends gave me a hand with whichever little guy needed it at the time. Of course they also had their own kiddos there and obviously not even mom of the year could prevent every little bump and bruise, right? Right. These are the words of a rational, non-hormonal, guilt free mom talking though and I was far from a rational, non-hormonal, guilt free mom this afternoon. When I first heard Jack's cry as I sat on the bench absorbed with my new baby, I could not race to his side fast enough. My friends have no idea how close I was to having a complete hysterical meltdown as I cradled my barely bleeding, but bleeding nonetheless, first born little monkey. I wanted to scream that I don't know if I can do this, this never would have happened if I was on my game, I am in way over my head, etc. Thankfully, I was able to hold it together and only teared up briefly as we showed Jason the brand new boo-boo. Of course, Jack hasn't given his wipeout on the playground a second thought except when he decided that a Nascar band-aid would look pretty cool on his chin at school tomorrow. And in case you are worried, I have also recovered quite nicely and learned that I really need to cut myself some slack. I need to remember all the things that I did right today... like when I saved Hayes from a head on collision with the matchbox car lovingly thrown his way by his older brother. Now that was some mom of the year reflexes I can promise you!




2 comments:

The Dunsmores said...

Only REAL little boys have bumps and bruises. Nice work Cracker Jack! And Mommy...you are doing just fine. Better than most I have seen. Keep up the good work.

Robin Soulant said...

Now that's a big boy!